Tulu Nadu or Tulunad is a Tulu speaking region spread over parts of the Karnataka and Kerala states of India. The erstwhile district of South Canara is the core of the Tulu speaking region. This region is not an official administrative region but a region inhabited by Tulu speaking people. Tulunad is the homeland of the Tuluva ethnic people. Mangalore, Udupi and Kasaragod are its important cities.
Here is a super easy yummy and healthy breakfast recipe which is common breakfast prepared by Tuluva people from decades. Tuluva people most of the times use rice as their main ingredient in their kitchen, let it be breakfast or meal, rice is the main course or them. Rice gives lot more stamina than having any other breakfast. Keeps you on for your work till noon, also helps your kids to concentrate in their studies till noon.
Let us learn how to make Kalthappa(Thulu) which can be called as rice cake in English for better remembrance for people out of Tulunadu.
Recipe of Kalthappa / Rice cake:
|Preparation time: 1 hour Cooking time: 25 minutes
Serves : 2
11/2 cups of dosa rice
3/4 cup of grated coconut
2 tablespoon of poha
1 teaspoon of jeera
1 cup of water to grind
2 medium-sized onion
salt to taste
Method to cook:
Step by step photos to Method to cook Kalthappa/Rice Cake:
- Put soaked dosa rice, grated coconut, jeera and poha in the mixer and grind it by pouring 1 cups of water. Till the rice paste takes the form of rava and add salt to taste.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of coconut oil in a frying pan. Once the oil gets hot put onion slices
- Fry it till gets golden brown color.
- Then pour the rice paste to the pan and close the lid.
- Let it cook in high flame for 3 minutes, then cook for 10 more minutes in medium flame.
- Flip the Kalthappa/Rice Cake, close the lid and cook it for 5 more minutes.
Then turn of the flame and place the Kalthappa/Rice Cake in a plate.
Serve the Kalthappa/Rice cake with egg curry/fish curry/ chicken curry.